No More Beads…

August 13, 2007

IMG_3709-1She’s done!!! I have completed my Christmas Elf Fairy. It only took me a year. Almost exactly a year. I believe I started this project in Tennessee last Labor Day. I finished about a third of it there, brought it home and worked on it a little and then it sat. And sat. And sat. And it was sitting in a Target bag next to my tv so I saw it constantly. But never picked it up.

Recently, I’ve been on a tear to finish up projects and picked her up, finally. It took me two weeks of weekends and working in the evenings after work. That’s really not that long. Maybe three (four at the most) weeks of actual time spent on the project.

It really was fun to work on. I know all the “rules” say to keep the outlining and beading to the end, but that always drives me crazy so I work on the beads and outlining as I go. And I wish I had done more of that because on Saturday, I was in bead H-E-double hockey sticks. It’s hard to see in the photo I took, but there is a lot of bead detail in there. Trust me. Sunday morning, I finished up the boots and the beading on the bottom and was then able to sign and date it. And then she got a bath.

I was nervous about washing her because the floss was not color safe but after being on a frame for a year, she needed it. I cleaned out my sink, and then used a little of my most gentle shampoo (just a little) and used cold water, ice cubes and a color catcher sheet. I rinsed her in ice water twice and then rolled her up in a towel to get rid of the excess water. She went straight to the ironing board after that and was ironed into a plush towel wrong-side up.

I could not be more pleased with the results. I had no problems with colors running and she looks fantastic all washed and pressed. I can’t wait to take her to the finisher.

IMG_3712-1Then, since there were chores to do, I started this Heart in Hand project and worked on it all afternoon until it was done. I love my hearts. The original project says “One Love” and it was cute, but I didn’t want the words there, so I changed the pattern. The fabric I used was lighter than the one recommended and I am concerned that the border gets lost, but I didn’t discover this until I was over halfway done. I will have to live with it. Bill thinks I will like it more once it is framed and there is less fabric around the border. The project is only about 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches. It will go on a wall with all my other hearts.

Oh, and the chores were started at 9pm on Sunday, having put them off as long as possible.

No comments yet. Be the first.

Leave a reply


About Me

Welcome to my spot on the web where I talk about needlework, crafts, and [many] other random things.

A few tidbits about me: I met my husband in college, flirting over tuba letters in the Penn Band. Our dog, CJ, and our cat, Sabrina, round out our family. I'm a sewist, knitter and needlepointer, and an occasional scrapbooker. I love organizing, reading, making jewelry, and hiking. A Chicago girl at heart, I am an avid follower the Cubs, Bears, and Blackhawks.

You can email me at mlynapier [at] pobox [dot] com. Thank you for stopping by!

My Etsy Shop

A place for me to sell my handmade goods. My style? It's fun and funky with a hint of romance.

My Photos


Techie Stuff